Online dating is not for the faint-hearted! However, it can be a lot of fun once you’ve established your rules of engagement!
- Take nothing personally. Really.
- Have the right positive attitude before spending your time on dating websites.
- Be businesslike about it.
- Have fun and enjoy the process.
- Take your time, don’t imagine you’ll find your life partner after one connection.
- Be clear about what you’re looking for before you sign up — fling, friendship, long-term relationship.
- Be truthful — if you’re 53, say so, if you’re not into keeping fit don’t say you’ve signed up for a half marathon!
- Ask lots of questions from the lighthearted to the more profound.
- Don’t get disillusioned after a handful of dud dates.
- Know your values and what’s important to you.
- Be open-minded.
- Be sensible and safe.
With so many people of our generation turning to online dating to meet a new partner how do you write a profile that will stand out from the crowd? How do you create an irresistible dating profile?
Those were the questions I had when I was online dating. So I decided to work with a friend to craft my very own irresistible dating profile…..it worked and I’m now almost three years into a relationship with a wonderful man who loved my profile!
These are my suggestions and what I now work through with clients:
Create a Username that grabs attention, don’t be lazy and use your initials followed by a handful of numbers! One of mine was Silver Pixie — it’s playful, cheeky and also lets people know I love my cropped silver hair … it’s showing a bit of my personality right from the beginning.
Write a headline that acts as a hook… it might be a quote from a favorite film or book or it might be the first half of a sentence … you want to write something that leaves the reader wanting to find out more … one of mine began, ‘Pssst, pull up a chair let me tell you a story about words … about finding them and ultimately about banishing them’
‘Show don’t tell’ in your profile summary…
My heading says, “BRAINS, BEAUTY, BENIGNITY,” so there are 3 “Bs” in my heading. But also, I want to meet a well educated person, as I am a college professor. Not so many people know what ‘Benignity’ means. That way I can separate the sheep from the goats!