When a woman spends the night at a man’s place for the first time, he will awaken the next morning either suddenly shocked or pleasantly surprised. When the latter happens, a man’s got to be prepared. A quick trip to the diner or a bagel run can spoil the mood by cutting time spent in bed. The key to making the morning linger… is breakfast. And by that, gentlemen, we are not implying an apple or an old box of raisins.
Guys, know this – almost every woman loves coffee with some sort of fat-free, non-dairy creamer plus sugar substitute. And make no assumptions – many ladies love bacon or sausage to get the morning started. Other things to keep in stock if the mood strikes are English muffins, eggs and cheese – each of which can easily be stored in your freezer/refrigerator. If you’re really ambitious, tomatoes, onions and some fresh fruit are final-touch garnishes that will make all the difference. And if you want to look like a pro without too much effort, below are some quick and delicious breakfast bites that you can prepare to share as two if and when the mood strikes you.
French Toast Stuffed with Pomegranate Maple Syrup
1. ¼ cup maple syrup
2. 2 tablespoons fresh pomegranate seeds
3. 4 thick slices of white bread
4. 1 large egg
5. 1/4 cup milk
6. Splash of pure vanilla extract
7. Pinch of cinnamon
8. 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1. For maple syrup and pomegranate topping, add two tablespoons of fresh pomegranate seeds into the maple syrup, mix and place to the side.
2. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk, vanilla and cinnamon. Dip both sides of each slice of bread into the egg mixture until well coated.
3. In a large skillet, melt ½ tablespoon of the butter. Add 2 of the bread slices and cook until golden, about 2 minutes per side. Repeat with the remaining butter and bread slices.
4. Transfer the French toast slices to plates. Top with maple syrup and pomegranate topping and serve.
Fried-Egg and Cheese BLT Sandwich
1. 4 thick slices of lean bacon
2. 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
3. Salt and freshly ground pepper
4. 2 large eggs
5. 4 thick slices of country white bread, hot and toasted
6. 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
7. 2 romaine lettuce leaves
8. 2 slices cheddar cheese
9. 4 thin tomato slices
1. In a large non-stick skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat, turning until crisp, about 4 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels. Wipe off the skillet.
2. Coat the skillet with butter. Crack the eggs into the skillet and fry them over-easy over moderate heat, about 3 minutes on one side and about 30 seconds on the other side. Season the eggs with salt and pepper.
3. Spread mayonnaise onto 2 slices of the toasted bread. Top lettuce, tomato slices, bacon, eggs and cheese and cover with the remaining 2 slices of toast.
4. Cut the sandwiches in half and serve.
Pear Bruschetta with Hazelnut Cream
1. Two slices of sourdough bread, 5-by-3-inches (3 ounces)
2. 1.5 ounces roasted, skinned and salted hazelnuts, chopped
3. 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar, plus more for dusting
4. 2 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
5. 1 teaspoon amaretto liqueur
6. Splash of pure vanilla extract
7. 1 large egg, chilled
8. 1 large, ripe Bartlett pear
9. ½ tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Put the bread slices on a large rimmed baking sheet and lightly toast for about 7 minutes.
2. In a small food processor, finely grind 1 ounce of the hazelnuts. Transfer to a bowl. Add the confectioners’ sugar and butter and beat at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the amaretto and vanilla and beat for 1 minute. Add the egg and beat until incorporated. Spread the hazelnut cream on the toasts.
3. Peel, halve and core the pear. Slice the pear half lengthwise 1/4 inch thick; spread them into fans. Brush with lemon juice. Using a spatula, transfer the pear fans to the toasts. Dust the pears with confectioners’ sugar. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the hazelnut cream is set and nicely browned. Dust the toasts with confectioners’ sugar and scatter the remaining with a 1/4 cup of chopped hazelnuts over the top. Serve right away.
Serve any one of these morning meals with fresh coffee, juice or a peach Bellini and enjoy a delicious morning in bed!
SingleEdition.com is a lifestyle destination where singles get advice, discounts and connect with other singles, and share their inspiring personal success stories. To read more articles about the single lifestyle, click here!