I want to preface this post by saying I do love dinner and drinks for a date night. I really do. However, it’s very typical and can get old after a while, so it can really be fun to spice things up in the date department. Whether a first date, tenth date or it’s-been-too-many-to-count date, it’s never a bad idea to go out and do something different. There are a lot of choices out there, but these are some of my favorite unique date ideas:
- Play tourist in your own city: Go to a neighborhood you’ve never been to or one you aren’t familiar with and just explore. Walk around, stumble in and out of shops, find a random restaurant for a meal and just wander.
- Farmers market haul: Head to a local farmers market and stock up on delicious food. Enjoy some free samples to hold you over until you head home, where each of you can cook part of the meal with the ingredients purchased at the market.
- Progressive meal: Start somewhere for appetizers and drinks, then go somewhere else for the main meal, then end the night somewhere else for dessert.
- Roller skating: Find a roller rink and go skating. It’s like a fun flashback to when you were in middle school – make sure to hold hands during the slow songs!
- Karaoke: Nothing will get you comfortable with a date like a karaoke session. Belt out your favorite songs over cocktails and cheese fries!
- Laser tag: It’s fun, active and kind of “sexy” being in the dark with your date, am I right?!
- Volunteer: Check out your local volunteer organizations and head out for an afternoon of giving back.
- Wine and cheese tasting: Find a local wine bar and try various wine flights with the recommended cheeses. Yum!
- Kayak or paddle boarding: Go to a local lake and take a boat or kayak out for an afternoon in the sun. Don’t forget the SPF; you don’t want to turn into a lobster right in front of your date!
- Cooking class: Take a cooking class together and go out for dessert afterwards.
- Break a sweat: Go for a run or do some other physical activity, such as spinning or hiking. Afterwards, rewards yourselves with a delicious brunch with bottomless mimosas or Bloody Marys.
- Museum hop: Check out various museums in your city throughout the day, from art to science to history and beyond.
- Thrift shopping or antiquing: Find some great local thrift shops and antique stores and wander through all of them, maybe picking up a treasure or two along the way.
Bottom line – dating is supposed to be fun. So if you’re not into dinner and drinks or you just want to try something different for a change, there are tons of other options out there perfectly suited to you and your date. Next time you’re meeting up with a special someone, switch things up a bit; go “old school” (roller skating), do something active (hiking) or just be goofy (karaoke). And don’t be afraid to try out your own ideas that aren’t on this list. Happy dating!