Are you a good conversationalist? Are you sure? A simple conversation can reveal how you communicate with another person — and communication is such an important part of dating that it warrants a two-part series! When you talk to someone on a date, are you open? Passive? Direct? Brief? Today we’re starting with a pop quiz to identify your conversational type, since conversations can really make or break a first date. And, in next week’s second installment, we will score the quiz and learn what your conversation style says about you.
Disclaimer for the legal types out there: This has no valid psychological basis – it’s intended for entertainment purposes only! So without further ado, grab your pencils and keep your eyes on your own paper (screen?).
What’s Your Conversation Style?
Choose the response that most closely matches your likely response in each of the following scenarios:
1. You have just met someone in person for the first time, and after saying hello, you:
- A) Ask where she works, where she lives, and where she went to school, all in a row
- B) Wait for your date to say something
- C) Tell him all about your work drama that just happened that day
- D) Ask if he/she had any trouble finding your meeting spot and then add you like his/her shirt
2. You’re on a first date and there is a lull in conversation. You:
- A) Ask where your date sees him/herself in 5 years
- B) Do nothing and look down
- C) Fill the silence by talking about what you had for lunch, including condiments and drink
- D) Make some comment on the décor of wherever you are
3. It’s the end of a second date, and you wonder if you will have a third, but you’re nervous to bring it up. You:
- A) Ask your date if he or she sees a future with you
- B) Say goodnight
- C) Retell the story of something funny that happened on the date
- D) Say you had a good time
4. You’ve had several pretty good dates with someone, but you can see that he/she has been regularly logging in to JDate. You:
- A) Confront your date and ask where the relationship is going
- B) Do nothing
- C) Say your friend saw someone she was dating on another dating site… and then proceed to tell about what happened to your “friend”
- D) Instant Message your date when he/she goes on JDate
5. You’re talking with your date and discover that he/she strongly favors a rival sports team. You:
- A) Demand to know why he likes that team
- B) Nod and don’t mention your team
- C) Tell him or her the details of the first game you ever attended
- D) Poke fun at the rivalry whenever there’s a future lull in conversation
Ok, time’s up, pencils down. You can grade your quiz here!
1. D 2. C 3. D 4. B 5. D