It is easy to say that luck (and a few guardian angels) brought Garrett and I together. My father passed away in 2007 and I always promised him that I would marry a good man who he would approve of and love. Needless to say, Garrett meets both of these requirements and more.

After a few failed relationships, and very interesting dates, I decided to try my hand at online dating with my mother, who had also recently decided to start dating again. I stumbled upon JDate and figured it was worth a shot. I created a profile, added a few pictures and attempted to awkwardly explain my dream man via a website. At the other end of the computer, Garrett was coaxed into making a profile by his best friend, Josh. Neither of us invested much in our attempts but were both willing to browse. Within two days, Garrett sent me a message and I instantly responded. His profile picture was of him and his pug, Peanut, who could steal anyone’s heart. After a few emails, instant messages, texts and hour-long phone calls (yes, we took it slow), we agreed to meet in person.

Garrett was kind enough to travel into New Jersey to meet me one cold day in January and I picked him up at the bus station with no plans and high expectations. We decided to grab something small to eat and ended up spending three hours just talking and getting to know one another. Our connection was undeniable. After begrudgingly bringing him to the train station to head home, I attempted to control the butterflies I felt for the rest of the day. I immediately came home and gushed to my mom about how well the date went and how excited I was for our next time together. We talked that night, went for our second date that weekend, and have been inseparable ever since.

Our engagement came at a very poignant time in our relationship. On June 1, 2011, my mother was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor and our lives were forever changed. Garrett and I had discussed getting engaged for a long time prior to this tragic event, but with my mom’s terminal prognosis we all agreed that it would be wonderful for her to see us engaged. What I didn’t know was that Garrett was already a step ahead of me and had asked my mom’s permission right before she went into the hospital.

After a long day and night in the hospital, Garrett and I returned home to get something to eat and to rest up before returning the next day. While I was in the other room, Garrett snuck into the bedroom, turned all the lights off, lit up the entire room with candles and left a video message for me to listen to. At the end of the video, I turned to look at Garrett who then asked me to be his wife. I became hysterical and instantly said yes! While my mom did pass away on July 10, she did have the honor and pleasure of knowing that Garrett and I will be spending the rest of our lives together.

Samantha and Garrett
Fair Lawn, New Jersey


June 2012 Update:

We just wanted to update you, and all the other hopeful JDaters, to let you know we tied the knot! On June 10th Garrett and I officially became Mr. and Mrs.! Thanks to you, I have met and married the love of my life!

Thank you all so much again!

Samantha and Garrett
Fair Lawn, New Jersey


Found love on JDate? Tell us about it!
  1. Mazal Tov to you both. I bet your late mother is smiling from heaven, it’s actually considered a mitzvah to marry within the jewish year of mourning, as it is considered one of the most noble ways to honor one’s parents.

    Thanks for posting your inspiring story. I lost my Father a few months ago. He didn’t get to see any grand children or even marry off any of his children, but your beautiful reunion reminded me that when it does happen b”h, he will be beside us in spirit.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *