As today is the anniversary of our first date in 2011, it seemed only fitting to finally send you our success story.  On September 9, we will celebrate our first anniversary aboard a cruise ship sailing north into Canada.  Our story is one of faith in the universe to finally bring me to the love of my life.

We were both brought onto JDate around the same time in the summer of 2011. Having lived very parallel lives, Marc and I experienced  uncertainty in both our relationships and our employment.  For years, we searched for eternal love and security in our careers, taking every obstacle in stride, yet always feeling hopeful.

In the summer of 2011, I reluctantly began to start dating again after my nearly 80-year-old father made me feel guilty. I relayed my concerns to a dear girl friend over white sangria at my pool.  By the end of the evening, she had me registered on JDate as ‘alwaysrouge’ and took charge of my profile.

For the next two weeks, she deleted email prompt after email prompt.  Yet, she pursued, and chose two men from the thousands listed, and helped me write to them.  One of them was based in the UK, where I was headed for work in six weeks.  (Note that I only agreed to do JDate during the buy 1 month/get 1 month free special, which would take me right to that overseas trip). The second man she chose for me was just returning from his rugged outdoor vacation in Wyoming, where he too was dealing with the burden of being alone. Marc1567 returned to find an email from alwaysrouge.

The first emails were between him and my ghostwriting, dearest friend.  By the third correspondence, she called me, shared the emails and said it was time for me to take over completely and ask if he would speak by telephone. We shared long conversations every night until we met, the Friday of Labor Day weekend 2011.  Our second date was that Sunday, where my dearest friend was also at my impromptu party. She said we would marry…I told her she was crazy.

I left for the UK after our fourth date, smitten and worried that such a wonderful man wouldn’t be waiting for my return two weeks later. But, as he picked me up at the airport, broken ankle and crying, I knew I’d found my partner, my love, my heart. It took him a little longer, but by ‘Black Friday’ he swore his love to me. A week later, we told our parents we’d be moving in together in March.

But, on February 18, he asked my father for my hand. The date was set within the next two weeks, and our goal of a beautiful garden wedding September 9th came to fruition. Our vows were guided by deep seeded Judaic traditions, and American Indian spirituality. Our chuppah, home made and covered with an heirloom family linen, was surrounded by family and friends. Our best man and maids of honor were our siblings, and the children of my closest friends served in the bridal party as ‘junior bridesmaid’, ‘ring bearer’ and ‘flower girl.’

We walked down the aisle to ‘You are the Love of my Life’, sung by my sister and brother in law, accompanied by my cousin who is a concert pianist. Marc was escorted down the aisle by both of his parents. My mother, afflicted with FTD and now in the final stages, still walked between my father and me, and handed me to Marc. My closest and dearest friends all read portions of prayers, poems and songs that were dear to both our hearts.

Marc is my love, and the universe answered our call.  I guess it took the Internet to get it heard.

Sharon and Marc
Newtown Square, Pennsylvania

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *